Thursday, October 21, 2010

English Teacher

It seems you punctuate my thoughts
With shiny words (you sure know lots!)
The quotidian of my mind
Becomes unique with words you find

And yet, it's more than words you say
In fact I'd say it is the way
That you express yourself to me
That makes me feel so gleefully

A period here, a comma there
Has never caught me unaware
But now the gentle roll of prose
Has got me curling up my toes

The ecstasy of careful words
Like choc-o-late or "flightless birds"
It fills me with obscene delight!
Of happiness, this is the height

And so exclaim! And also pause,
Wrap me in your words like gauze
Let them cloak me / keep me warm
Dazzle me with written form

Eloquence can be such fun
And new words I will never shun
I want to hear them all, do tell!
You seem to know this language well

So use your words to tell me more
If words are sex, I am a whore!
A single picture, please describe
Your thousand words I will imbibe

Open up the world for me
The words make things easy to see
They make it much more fun to touch
Of words there never is too much

Semi-colon has my love
And Circumflex that sits above
I guess I like the tilde too
(Why can't a simple hyphen do?)

Ellipses... they give voice to void
I like it when they are employed
Apostrophes aren't like the rest
I often put them to the test

The elements of language, see,
Mean so very much to me
So as you use these words un-plain
Know that you write my heart's refrain

No comments:

Post a Comment